Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Single Speed Debut

This morning at 7:00 am, was the maiden voyage (of any significance) on my Single Speed Project. Last night I gave it a quick once over, attached the Topeak rack and trunk bag, and picked out some clothes that would make the 30 degree commute somewhat comfortable.
After spending a good deal of time stripping down this bike, painting and rebuilding it, I constantly questioned what I would be left with when all was said and done. Well, I couldn't be happier! The bike itself is an early to mid 80's Schwinn LeTour with nice steel tubing. It rides like a dream! A few miles into the ride I let Roger take it for a bit and he agreed. Something about the steel frame, the absence of any gears, and not having a computer to answer to made the ride a very enjoyable experience.
I'm hooked. Roger mentioned converting his steel Bianchi into a single speed, which I thought was a great idea! I imagine I will spend quite a bit of time on this bike, and commuting seems to be the perfect fit for it. Not once did I long for a gear change, although our commute is pretty flat. FYI, the gear ratio is 39/16 which seems perfect to me, I have no plans or reason to experiment.
So, all in all a great first ride and a new love in my stable of bicycles. If you have the means, I highly suggest picking one up!
Ride safe,
Patrick

3 comments:

amidnightrider said...

Single speed all the way to the Industrial Park? You teenager you.

Do you use the Fairhaven MUP at all for your commute?

Anonymous said...

I think, that you are mistaken. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.

Anonymous said...

Whether there are analogues?