Friday, January 22, 2010

New llight and tires update

So the ride home last night was awesome.  A bit chilly yes, but it was so nice to be back on the bike.  I rode the singlespeed yesterday and tried out the new tires and rear light.  I have had a Princeton Tec Swerve for a while and it's a great light but the reliability has been questionable.  Roger still uses his and last night it cut out more than once after hitting a bump.  I don't want to question my tail light while I'm riding home on country roads in the dark. If your tail light goes out, chances are you won't realize it.  That's why light/reflective clothing and reflectors or very important!
My new light is a RadBot 1000 which I had never heard of until I saw it at the Cycle Center of Stamford in Stamford, CT which is where my nephew works.  WOW, is this thing bright.
Where as most bicycle tail lights have used a 1/2 watt LED, the Radbot 1000 uses a 1 watt Japanese LED which is the same bulb used in the tail lights of new cars.  Yes, it is that bright. A couple other selling factors for me: the price was about $29 which was comparable to most other lights, nice big reflector in case the light was to stop working (which has not been an issue), and the 3 mode button on the light is easy to use, has a solid feel, and provides three modes - slow flash - slow/fast flash - and steady.  It also comes with multiple mounting options.

On to my new tires!  I have had 700 x 23c tires on my singlespeed which are nice high pressure tires but not exactly appropriate for commuting in the off-season.  So, I ordered up a pair of Michelin Tracker hybrid tires:


I had been looking for a tire that met certain criteria including...
high pressure (80 psi or so), flat protection, reflective sidewall for commuting at night, and a comfortable tread that was aggressive enough to work well if I wanted to travel dirt roads/paths.
These met all my needs, and the 700 x 35c size fit comfortably in my Schwinn Le Tour frame with room to spare.
So far so good.  Nice comfortable and quiet tire that can handle changes in conditions.

And for what it's worth - I am still loving my ToPeak Bags, Rack and Trunk Rack.  There stuff is really well engineered, well made, and a pleasure to use.  I absolutely love it when stuff just works!

Ride safe!

2 comments:

Pat said...

thanks for the shout out!

amidnightrider said...

I see a bike on Rt. 6 in Fairhaven a lot. Is that you?