Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dog Update

Is it too much to ask?  I just want to ride my bicycle to work without the underlying fear of having a dog chew through my calf before I get to my desk, which was almost the case yesterday morning. I rode to work solo yesterday which I don't mind aside from the fact that I know this dog is going to come charging out with full intentions of ruining my morning, and that is exactly what happened.  About a mile from my office and right on cue he came charging out, teeth bare, looking like he just spotted his breakfast.  I did have pepper spray, but as I was wearing mittens, lacked the dexterity to use it.  I outran him and made it to work where I promptly called animal control and left my 54th message on their machine.  A ritual I have gotten quite used to over the past 4 years.  I then spoke to a co-worker here that also moonlights as a cop in the town.  Apparently I am not the only one who has had problems with the this dog, and the story goes that the owner could care less.  I'm picturing a sterotypical episode of cops where the cops bang on the door of the trailer and the guy answers the door in a stained wife beater still smelling of last nights bourbon.
Fast forward to yesterday afternoon, I'm riding home, pepper spray in hand, and I see the dog setting up for my arrival.  About 200 yards away I see him dash from the comfort of the double-wide, down to the street.  Hearing the old western gunfight whistling in my head I grasp my pepper spray and ride towards him.  Out he comes, I slow down and soak his face to the point where it reminds me of an old soupy sales comedy routine with a seltzer bottle!  His eyes close, he stops in his tracks, and runs off into the abyss.
Off I ride wondering if the owner would load up the gun rack in his 72 Ford pickup and come after me.  He didn't.
The Animal Control Officer called me back this morning and were very nice.  She is going to take a ride out to the house today and talk to the owner(s) which I hope does some good.  I just hope the guy doesn't invite the Officer in for a bourbon!
I'll let you know what happens.
Ride safe!

2 comments:

Glenn_in_MA said...

Kudos to you!...and a well told story. I love dogs and I'm sure you do too, but.....

amidnightrider said...

You riding in Acushnet again?