Thursday, October 29, 2009

This week in commuting!

Again this morning I crept around in the dark of my bedroom trying to properly dress for a cool/damp commute without waking up my sleeping wife. The right cycling clothing can truly make or break my time in the saddle, and when it's cool and wet (or even raining) the clothing is even more important. My ride home on Tuesday was certainly wet, but I was warm and comfortable none the less.
I am still riding my road bike while my singlespeed sits unassembled and un-painted in my cellar. The singlespeed will be my dedicated commuting bike throughout the winter but until it's done I migrated my headlight, tail light and seat bag on to my LOOK.
As I rode this morning the roads were still a bit damp and covered in leaves and pine needles. My thoughts bounced between pure appreciation that I can ride my bicycle to work on a fall morning, and sheer terror that my skinny 700x 23c tires would betray me on the wet leaves. I have been on the lookout for some good all-weather 700c tires that I can use on my singlespeed - let me know if you have any recommendations!
There is certainly something about riding in less than ideal conditions that appeals to the true cyclist in me. Heading out into cold wet darkness on a bicycle is one of those rites of passage for a cyclist. It also adds many dimensions to an otherwise generic ride - such as having to be more alert of traffic and weather conditions, dressing properly, and the overall feeling of taking pleasure in something that most folks would think entirely miserable. Of course, they probably haven't tried it!
Ride safe!
Patrick

No comments: