Friday, October 30, 2009

Riding with the kids.

The beautiful weather was certainly not the reason for my commuting by bicycle three times this week. Tuesdays ride home was wet, Thursday was nice but the morning ride was cool and damp. This morning was pretty nice I must say, but not a week that makes one think that bicycling to work is the most appealing alternative to driving.
At any rate, I rode to work on Tuesday, Thursday (by myself) and again today. It's nice to come home at the end of the day and walk into the house with my bike gear on. I like to think that I'm creating a positive influence for the kids to see me riding the bike to work.
My 10 year old had been bugging me to ride with him so on Saturday I am taking him to the Cape Cod canal for a 14 mile ride. I'm looking forward to it and I think we will have a great time. He loves to ride and I know that he would ride more if I made the effort to ride with him so that's my goal. I'm not one for New Years resolutions - but riding more with my kids would be a good one! In this months bicycling magazine there is a great article by Joe Kurmaskie (sp?) who wrote Momentum is your friend which is a fantastic book I read a couple years ago. In this months Bicycling article, Joe talks about riding 3000 miles with his wife and 3 kids. A great read that I found to be just the motivation I needed to get out with my kids on the bikes.
Not that I'm going to pack up the kids and head up to Canada but I can certainly get them over to the Cape Cod Canal for 15 miles or so.

Quick little addition to this post - make sure you check out this 84 year old woman that does the MS ride on her singlespeed. Don't miss the fact that she wears a dress and heels!
See ya

No comments: