Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Single Speed Project

This past summer when the cycling season was in full swing I got the idea in my head that I wanted to build a single speed. Not quite sure what possesed me, I just thought it would be a fun project. I first set down some ground rules such as - I had to find a donor bike for free, and I would spend as little money as possible, which I looked at as part of the challenge.
As luck would have it, I found a pristine late 80's Schwinn Le Tour in my mothers basement which I quickly brought home, stripped and repainted. (photos to come I promise)
Well, I have since gone completely off the deep end on the paint job which originally was inspired by the old Ford GT 40 race cars of the late 60's - that cool light blue, orange ad black combination. All of which I found in spray cans at Lowe's i might add!
I then ordered up some decal paper and went to town. That's where I am at the moment. I need to clear the frame and fork and then of course, put the thing back together. I have the best of intentions, and consider myself a decent mechanic, but I wont hesitate to drop off the complete project to my local bike shop should the whole thing venture outside my comfort zone. I know my limits!
I'll take some photos tonight and get those posted.

No comments: