Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Commuting

For about 5 or 6 years now, I have been commuting to work with 3 or 4 other guys from my company here in Massachusetts. It has always been a fair weather affair, but this year we have taken it to another level. Two of us anyway!
My buddy Roger and I both converted old mountain bikes into commuters. I took my 1993 Cannondale Delta V 2000, added some WTB Slickasaurus tires, an old NiteHawk headlight, a ToPeak Seat and Bag, and finished it off with a Princeton Tec Swerve Tail Light. The tail light was the most important part of the bike from my perspective as that is how people see you at night. I had a couple of tail lights kicking around the basement but once you see a really good tail light on a bicycle, you realize what a difference there is. The Swerve is BRIGHT! I did a lot of research on the web, read a lot of posts from bike commuters around the country, and it came down to either the Swerve or the Planet Bike Superflash. For me it came down to the fact that the swerve was easier for me to turn on and off with gloves on, but I found them both to be equally as bright.
So far, I have seriously enjoyed commuting in the cold and dark. Last week it was about 18 degrees when we left the house, and that was pretty darn cold! I had a wrap around my head but nothing on top of head besides my helmet and about 5 miles in I developed a nasty headache. I have since picked up a great Sport Hill running hat that fits great under the helmet and pulls down nicely over my ears. I wore it this morning and love it. Of course, it was only 30 degrees when we left this morning.
I am going to keep up commuting for as long as I can this season. I just hit 1200 miles on the bike this season and provided the roads are clear, I'll keep riding the bike to work once or twice a week. Dressed properly it's quite comfortable, and it's like a bonus workout!

No comments: