Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Dream a little dream!

While I have not been an active blogger lately, It is not without reason.  First off, I have not been on the bike too much lately!  In early August, while on a ride with my two brothers and my nephew, my brother Nick had a pretty nasty spill resulting in my calling 911 from my cellphone while he lay unconcious in the street.  We were moving along pretty well (18 - 20 mph) in Rochester when I heard the carnage behind me.  Lo and behold, it was Nick who apparently went over the handlebars and landed on his head.  No doubt for the doctors in Boston that he would have been expired had he not had a helmet on.  Luckily, he was wearing a helmet and still experienced about 5 minutes of "lights out" before coming around.  At any rate, I have been running in preparation for the Newport Half Marathon since then and have not been focused on the bike.  The Rochester Time Trial series is over for the season, and while I did not get to participate as often as I would have liked, it's over and that is another reason I don't need to be training on the bike.

One thing is for sure and that is Fall is here!  My favorite time of year and when I seem to log the most miles commuting to work.  My trusty single speed is adorned with the necessary lights and bags, the mornings are crisp and cool, and my winter cycling clothes are out of the attic! So, in addition to training for the Newport half Marathon on October 17, I have to start riding.  While I didn't think that my brothers crash had any impact on my at first, it's not like me to stay off the bike for four weeks.  That's how I know it affected me. Either way, I have a complete SRAM Force group on its way to me which will no doubt stoke the fires of my enthusiasm!  Nothing like some shiny new cycling bits to get the motor running!  While the racing bike awaits its new bits, I will experience the simplistic joy of my home made single speed commuter bike.  Nothing brings me closer to childhood than humming along while enjoying the sights and sounds all around me.  It's a great departure from the racing bike where the focus revolves around average speed and heart rate! The single speed has gained a permanent sweet spot in my heart.


Wish me luck, I'll see you out on the road.

No comments: